Gallery Shoshinkan 【National Tangible Cultural Property】
The Nagayamon (gated-tenement-style-house) designated as a National Tangible
Cultural Property built at the turn of the last century was used for sericulture
in the Meiji and Taisho Periods when Matushiro flourished in the silk industry.
Silkworms were cultivated for many years in the building. It is characterized
by very thick plaster walls, top-hinged windows, and coarse lattice (Matsushiro
kohshi). Currently, it is utilized as an art gallery. Also on the property
is Shoshinsha Milk Shop which was a milk processing plant, another National
Tangible Cultural Property. It was built in 1934 and was originally a business
owned by Baron Sanada. Its architecture is unusual and rare. Gallery Shoshinkan
is derived from Shoshinsha.