Matsushiro Castle Site 【National Designated Historic Site】
In 1560, Shingen Takeda built this castle in Matsushiro to fight against Kenshin Uesugi. The castle is protected by natural strongholds such as the Chikuma River and the surrounding mountains. Nobuyuki Sanada came to Matsushiro Castle in 1622. Since that time, 10 generations of Sanada’s have lived in the castle as the Lord.
In 2004 the reconstruction of the main gate and surrounding stone walls were opened to the public. Many visitors come to the castle in the spring to see the beautiful cherry blossoms.